Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Really Smart Fireman


Answering the phone I hear, “Hello, sir. This is ___ of the ___ Fire Department in __, California. I am responding to a call at ___ University Chemistry Department and hope you can help.”
“Of course, what’s up?”
“Well, sir. I am outside a lab that has a liquid nitrogen cylinder that has been venting off very hard for a good while and I’m trying to get a few answers before going in. I understand that liquid cylinders are supposed to vent, but we want to be sure there is no danger of an explosion.”

a) How’d he get my phone number?
b) Is there a potential danger?
c) How will we know?

a) He had a scope and was able to see the “K” tag that we and all other DOT-4L authorized repair centers are required to put on liquid cylinders that we repair. It also has our phone number.
b) Since he could see the “K” tag I asked if he could also see the data plate. He answered yes and reported the liquid cylinder was a 4L-200 rated vessel. And, he could even see the pressure gauge which was reading about 220psi.
c) We’ll talk more about DOT 4L ratings later, but for now suffice it to say that the cylinder was not likely to be an explosion hazard at that moment. So- all is OK? Not necessarily.

And just as I was about to tell him so he said “Oh, and don’t worry, sir. I’m very aware of the potential asphyxiation hazard in the room and have a breathing air pack on and an oxygen monitor. Thank you for your help” and hung up.

More like Thank You for Yours! I wish I had his name or even had the time to note the Department or University. He was smart , appropriately cautious and personified Falstaff’s statement in Henry IV:

"The better part of valour is discretion, in the which better part I have saved my life."